Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Can Never Go Home

So, the kiddo and I are going out to my parents for a few days.

This ought to be interesting.

Now, don't get me wrong.
I love my parents.
In a have to because they are my parents way.

I do want to visit because they are getting up there in age and my dad has emphysema.

And, I do get along pretty well with my dad.
I do with my mom.
In a censoring myself sort of way.

Half the time, my mom doesn't even pay attention .
And the other time she criticizes.
She hears what she wants to hear and leaves the rest.

She reminds me of Marie Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond.
Except she doesn't cook all the time and wait on my dad all the time.
That and she doesn't wear lipstick.

Not sure that my husband sees it, but I do.

My mother doesn't know how to give a compliment without making it seem like it's not one.

Often when I talk to her on the phone, I hang up feeling vaguely disappointed.

I hate that I can't really be me around my mother.
I know she loves me since I am her daughter.

But, I am not sure she really loves ME.
She doesn't even really know ME.

I have become who I am after I moved away from home.

I swear.
I laugh at people- not in a mean spirited way or anything, but let's face it-People are STUPID.
I do not go to church or practice any religion.
I let my daughter voice an opinion
and I let her stay up pretty late during the summer.

All of which would get a big thumbs down from my mother.

But, my daughter deserves time with her grandparents.
So, even if I have to bite my tongue a lot.
It will have been for the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.