Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Did My Name Go Somewhere?

OK, maybe this is just my hang-up, but I hate being called Mrs. Lon Pearson.
I am not my husband.
I have my own first name.
I didn't drop it when I got married.

It just completely irritates the shit out of me.

I know.
It's supposed to be the correct way to address invitations.

Maybe 50 years ago.
Let's live in the now people.

I linked my last name to my husband.
That is traditional.
Also easier when you have kids.

But, when I filled out the marriage license I didn't change my first name to his.

Calling me by his first name says to me that I am not a separate person.
I so am.

Maybe that goes back to the bible thing.
Like in marriage, they are now as one.

What made me think of this is that my cousin just got married today.
She has lived with the guy for 18 years and went by his last name.
They finally decided to get married.
Now she announces she is now officially Mrs. his name.

So, apparently it doesn't bug her.
So, maybe I am kinda odd about this whole thing.

It just makes me seem like I am not important enough to have my own name.
Lord knows, it is damn hard to write Mr. Lon and Mrs. Ruth Pearson.
It would be so much easier to write Mr. and Mrs. Lon Pearson.

WHATEVER!

Course, you could skip the Mr. and Mrs. part.
Just put Lon and Ruth.

I'd rather have that anyway.

But, you mention that you hate it and people give you weird looks.
Am I supposed to be OK with not being given my own identity?
Why?
We are all different.

I think if it were the other way around, men would hate going by their wives first names.
It would make them feel like they were not their own manly selves.

So, I guess I am behaving man worthy.

Not that it is something to be proud of.
Just sayin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.