Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Oh, Canada

Did you ever wonder how Canada got it's name?

Well, I am about to tell you.






Picture of Canadian flag                                                 
There was a group of fur trappers sitting around a campfire talking about the greatness of their vast new land.
One of the men stated that they needed to give the new land a name.
Another man shouted out that "it should start with the letter C".
Out came a collective "Eh!"
Another man said " It needs to have an N in it."
Here comes another "Eh!" from the men.
"How bout a D?" says another one of the men.
Another "Eh!" is shouted out.

And that, dear people is how the country of Canada was named.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth - I so needed that laugh!
    As a Canadian...I never heard this hidden gem about the origin of our name. I believe you...I know you would never, ever, ever, ever, ever...ever, steer me wrong. Ever!!!!

    I will tell my grandchildren this now sacred story...that is should I ever have grandkiddies! And, should my memory still be intact.

    Great! Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you'd like this one, Jenny. Of course I am never wrong! Don't be silly.

      Delete
  2. That's funny!!!!

    And this is why we call them Wacky Canadians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I have to get the email address of my husband's niece. They live in Canada and they had that eh rubbed on me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha this is awesome! (Fellow A-Zer)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting us know! I KNEW it didn't have anything to do with maple syrup, hockey, or Celine Dion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a simple story and I'm still laughing! This one's a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, Now you can let everyone know.

      Delete
  7. This sounds entirely plausible.
    Thanks for the cute story, Ruth.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is, Robyn. I did awesome in history back in high school. I know what I am talking about.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Love this! Did you make this up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I'd love to say I did. But, several years ago my husband got a joke ezine and there was a joke similar to this in it. I couldn't remember it word for word so I just wrote it how I remembered.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting.