Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

What's So Great About It?

All through our lives we have words that define us.

Some we are born with and have no choice in getting.
Others we pick and choose if we want it and when we want it.

We are sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, blah, blah, blah.
The list goes on.

You get the gist.

Now, I am soon to be adding another word to describe me.
And I am not ready.

I am going to be a great-aunt.

Who decided to put a great in front of aunt?

Great implies terrific, awesome, totally fantastic.

Unless, you are a great relative.
Than it means you are old.

All my great aunts and uncles were old.
I mean seriously OLD.
They were so old, they were kickin' off throughout my childhood.
Yay!

Nothing like going to funerals all the time for people I didn't even know.
Well, I knew we were related and they were old.
That's all any of us ever need, isn't it?

So, I find out my oldest sister's oldest daughter is preggers.

I am not even 40 so I can't be a great-aunt.
There must be a law about that somewhere.

Maybe I'll just tell them they cannot refer to me as a great-aunt.
But, they can call me awesome-aunt.

That has a nice sound to it.
Don't you think so?

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting.