Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Labor of Love

Fourteen years ago today, I went into labor with my daughter.

I didn't have her until the next day though.

I went to the hospital about 10 at night and the nurse sent me back home.

Two hours later I was back.
This time they let me stay.

I had back labor so my contractions weren't registering on the monitor.

It was a very long night.

I fell asleep in between contractions and my husband fell asleep too.

Morning came and they gave him my breakfast.

10:30 in the morning I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
She was 8 lbs. 9oz.

And she was so loud.

The only girl in the nursery.
Bigger than all the boys too.
And the loudest.

You could hear her when she was in the nursery.

I still remember her birth.

We have been through so much in her young life.

I really, really hated being pregnant.
I never want to go through labor again.
No drugs, maybe that's why.

But, I love my daughter so much and my life is richer for having her in it.

There have been times throughout the years that I wondered about my skills as a parent.

I have had my moments when I have been tougher on her than I should have been.
There have also been times when I gave in when I shouldn't have.

But, there truly is no such thing as a perfect parent.

As I look at my daughter and realize the person she is becoming, I am proud.

I am proud of myself for raising her to be this amazing person.

I am also proud of her for being true to who she is.
She is smart and sweet and determined.
She is silly and responsible and giving.

My daughter is great and I'm her mom.
And I am so very glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.